Saturday, June 28, 2008

Oil Tanks

Posted by Picasa
Continuing with the idea of Oklahoma's economy I was taken with the ubiquitous oil storage tanks. The newer ones are soft shades of blue, green or beige while the older ones are black and silver and rusty - and those are the ones that I find beautiful. Having painted the tractor in Panhandle Farming and gone crazy trying to paint its tires, I swore I would never paint another tire - but this painting really needed the truck so once again I painted a tire - only one this time, you will notice! I found this site on a rainy Sunday afternoon and love the way the cloudy sky works with the grays of the tanks, the truck, the storage shed and the reflections in the puddles of water.

A third "economic history" painting so far exists only in my photos. I found a building with a strange series of cone-shaped objects on the roof in Washington OK. I didn't know what it was nor did anyone I asked - so finally I drove back to Washington and learned it was a cotton gin. One day I will paint it and post it.

No comments: