Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wichita Mountain Buffalo



This painting is dear to my heart because of my connection to a buffalo herd that lived for a time on the Colorado Ranch. Their presence is so powerful and so full of their essential being that I am always drawn to them. I had never painted animals before and it was important for me to paint them as well as I could. The landscape of the Wichita Mountains is of the kind which most clearly speaks to me, so the combination of the two subjects was a natural. I will probably keep this painting always.

This is the last painting I will post for awhile as I am changing gears somewhat and working on small still lives to develop my technique and skills. I have some large paintings in mind - New Mexico, Wyoming as well as Oklahoma - and need to mull them over before starting to paint. I will, however, keep posting thoughts about my painting and my struggles to improve as an artist. I watch my mentor, Richard McKown, as he paints the first of four paintings he is doing with me as his model and learn so much each sitting. He also has assignments for me now and again to push me and help me grow. Next posting, will be an interesting execise he gave me.

All painting postings will wait, however, until I have a chance to photograph them!

No comments: