Friday, May 7, 2010

Marsh Triptych



Upon returning to Nashville in March, I spent a lot of time looking at the original version of this painting and determined what I perceived to be the major problems. I liked my concept and the basic design but because my niece had changed her living room, it was apparent that I needed to brighten and lighten the painting. The water courses did not feel true and actually created a discordant feeling when I looked at the composition.

I set up my easel in my brother's garage and went to work defining the marsh grass areas and the new water courses. Using bright ochres and yellows for the grasses achieved the brighter and lighter effect I wanted. Delineating the lines where the grasses emerged from the marsh waters turned out to be the most demanding aspect of the changes and the most critical as that element grounded the whole composition.

When I finsihed, I was quite happy with the painting. It pleased me aesthetically, philosophically and was a successful completion of a personal challenge. And, most of all, my three-year old great nephew studied it intently for a minute then turned and said "Susie, you are a GREAT painter." What more could a great aunt want?!

The challenges involved have to do with the lessons learned:
1. Only paint what you know, what you can see, and what you understand. I have only had one marsh experience in my life and that was thirty years ago. I don't have the "feel" of the marsh inside of me so I had to approach it from a cerebral rather than a visual or emotional place.
2. Paint only for the painting. Wherever it hangs, if it is a decent painting, it will look good. By painting to a specific room, lighting situation and furniture arrangement, I first limited myself and developed a darker painting that I did not like. The final version, still designed for a specific place, is truer to me and my emotions rather than to the aspects of the room.
3. Once again, I learned that you can always correct your mistakes. You might have to start a new canvas but you can rework a painting until you are satisfied that it has reached its completion.
4. Paint for yourself and love what you are painting.

Now, will I remember these things and move forward?

No comments: