Friday, September 19, 2008

An Apple a Day #1



Blogging, I am learning, is something which I must do in the morning before I begin painting or some other activity - once I'm moving along, I forget to blog. I started daily paintings by making a small still life each day. I haven't been as consistent as I hoped to be but am working on that. I began by painting an apple a day on small - 5" X 5" - canvases that lend themselves to a central, simple image. It is fun to make these paintings as well as challenging to learn the subtle changes of color that give volume to the image.

Early yesterday morning, two friends and I went out to a nearby lake to paint. My first painting went well - the second did not. Being tired and rushed definitely have detrimental consequences. And learning what to take and how to package it all requires some thoughtful planning. As we enter into the pleasant days of fall, I'll get lots of practice as we plan to do this on a regular basis and challenge ourselves to push our limits as painters.

No comments: