Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pears



From apples to pears - no oranges yet. Pears have such interesting shapes and that makes them fun to paint. The two Bartlett pears came from the grocery store but the one on the right came from a friend's pear tree. It is thicker and squatter than the pears we normally see - the meat is dense and it is considerably heavier than the other two. Fruit trees are such a wonderful addition to a landscape. I have a dwarf peach tree that has produced fruits for several years but they have never ripened. The chimney sweep noticed the tree, picked a peach off the ground and ate it. When I said that the peaches weren't ripe, he gave me a strange look then said "Taste one." I did - it was sweet and good even though the meat was whitish and the skin was a pale green-white. I would love to know what kind of peach this is. Next year I will harvest those peaches before the worms and birds get to them and eat them for breakfast.

Will be off for a few days to visit some friends - she's another artist and we have several art activities in mind. Will post again after I return home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Sue,
I think this little painting is your best so far. The colors are so vibrant.
Almira