Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Between Storms



This painting of the Valle Grande Caldero in New Mexico's Jemez Mountains was interesting to paint as the progressive changes from dark to light had to be subtle, especially with the fog drifting up from the valleys. A rainstorm had just passed over and another was forming in the west. There was a slight clearing in the sky between the two; the incoming clouds were light and fluffy as they were coalescing into rain clouds. Unfortunately, no matter how I tried, I could not photograph the painting showing the cloud details as clearly as the rest. I think, however, you can get the feeling of a rainy day in the mountains.

This is the first new painting for my summer show, "Sacred Spaces, Sacred Places", which will focus on those natural and man made sanctuaries that call to or reflect our highest yearnings as humans. For me, these places are in nature but churches, synagogs, temples or mosques are spiritual homes to others. The architectural features of religious structures are fascinating in themselves and I will be painting quite a few of these over the next few months. Always, of course, there will be landscapes.


1 comment:

Auditor Sara said...

Sue: I've been to Valle Caldera and this captures the vastness of this space! Beautiful work! Juanita