Friday, December 12, 2008

Lake Clouds



In September-October of 2006, I spent a few weeks in Wyoming at Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. My next to the last day in the parks, I went to Yellowstone Lake where I had a peaceful lunch at the Lodge overlooking the lake. These clouds were forerunners announcing the change of seasons - the first winter storm moved in the next day. I could happily have spent the winter in that country were it not for my cats impatiently awaiting me at home.

One of these days I will paint some aspect of the Lamar Valley in the northeastern section of Yellowstone. If ever one place has called to me to spend the rest of my life there, it was the Lamar Valley. The yearning that I have for that life is palpable when I am in any high mountain country in the west. In part it is my love of nature, in part my life on ranches in New Mexico and Colorado, and ultimately some lingering wispy feelings from a past I don't remember.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Largest moon of the year tonight! Did you happen to see the three hundred and sixty degree sunsets - twice this last week, One of them even the clouds directly overhead were tinged with pink!

Bart