Sunday, July 13, 2008

Turner Falls



Another water painting - and my next-to-last one in this group of images. This is a side view of Turner Falls in south central Oklahoma and it was another "learning" painting. I had several photographs from this perspective and decided on this view because of the composition as well as the interplay between the bright water and the darker earth and vegetation tones. Painting the water falling over the edge was very hard for me and eventually I painted it as almost a solid sheet. After looking at it for several months, I knew I had to go in and repaint the whole center section of the painting as well as emphasize other points...a scary thought. However, having identified the major problems, the repainting went more smoothly than I would have imagined possible and resulted in a painting which pleases me. This was the largest painting I had done, 24 X 36, and covering that much canvas was also a challenge.

I am heading to Nashville to deliver a commissioned painting of Lake Radnor. After I have returned home, I'll post that most recent water painting and will then move on to other things.

No comments: