Tuesday, July 29, 2008

La Purisima Conception de Cuarac



This is a closer view of the mission church at Quarai in Salinas NM (see previous post). The red sandstone walls taper from four feet wide at the foundation up 40 feet to the roof beam sockets where Great Horned owls nest each spring, usually producing two young. The sandstone used in the church ranges from a pinkish beige on a hot, dry summer's day through shades of rosy red to a dark purplish mahogany when it is wet. Thus the aspect of the church is different almost every day. I was the interpretive ranger at this site back in the 1980s and it remains dear to my heart. I had the good fortune of working with the historical archeologist on the historic structures report for all the Salinas missions; an experience that gave me a deep appreciation for and understanding of Spanish mission architecture.

During that time, I probably did more writing than I have in the years since then as I wrote most of the interpretive materials for the three Salinas sites. Since I am beginning to use this blog to record some of my thoughts, it is appropriate that painting and writing are coming together in this space. Perhaps I will get past my resistance to writing by focusing on painting and thinking about art in general. I am looking forward to a trip to New Mexico and getting back in touch with that land, its structures and people. It is no secret that there is a creative energy there that is unique to the place. The early Taos and Santa Fe artists and their successors have shown the world the beauty and diversity of that energy.

Here in Norman, the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art at the University of Oklahoma has a world-class collection of southwestern art thanks to the generosity of several collectors. There are also Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works, Native American paintings, ceramics and basketry as well as American painters. With so much art available to me along with many artists in the area, I feel like I can grow as an artist in this environment and find stimulation and support in all my efforts. That is a very good feeling!

No comments: