Monday, July 7, 2008



It's been a week since I blogged and I am sorry to have lost the rhythm since I will be traveling some in the next few months and I don't want to lose the habit. A friend, a portrait painter, has a show coming up and I have been sitting for him. Not only is it interesting and fun but we have wonderful conversations about art and I am learning so much in the process - about making art, about art history, and about my own experience of art. Thinking and talking about it is having a deep affect on me which I will be exploring in future blogs.

Usually I paint only from photos I have taken but this painting is an exception to that. I came across a postcard many years ago of a 1924 photograph, Teepee at Bow Lake. I was so taken with the image that I finally decided to paint it, although without the Native American man standing in front of the teepee. This is one of my favorite paintings because of personal ties - I spent my 30th summer camping and hiking in Canda - and because it emotionally pleases me at some deep level. The light on the teepee and the softness of the mountain slopes with clouds moving in brings a real sense of peace to me.

This is also my first attempt at painting water and while there is much to improve in that regard I keep it as is so that it will always serve as a lesson for me. Since then I have painted several paintings with a water focus and love the challenge of it.

No comments: