Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lake Radnor



I have just returned from Nashville where I delivered this commissioned painting of Lake Radnor. It is such a beautiful and peaceful spot, I wanted to capture its serenity. Knowing where the painting will hang, I tried to blend colors that would be true to the lake while complementing the room. The family loves the painting and their response has been most gratifying. Lake Radnor is a favorite place of theirs. Sense of place is so important to me in my life that I want each of my landscapes to express that connection. There are so many beautiful places in Tennessee that I am sure I will be painting more of them in the years to come - and I am delighted to have completed this first one.

Each painting is a lesson for me and there were several important things to address as I worked out the problems in this one. Keeping the lake surface flat, showing the hills in the background through the trees and giving a sense of depth were the major elements that I worked on. Painting the rocks and the reflections in the water were the fun parts, especially painting the broken limb and its reflection.

No comments: