Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Green Pears and Grapes



My first still life paintings had a background that was a contrasting color to the fruit. Richard Mckown suggested I try painting green pears against a green background. That was surprisingly difficult and fun at the same time. I am doing a few more of these small color-on-color paintings before moving on to larger formats. I love the way each painting gives you a new challenge or problem to solve. The process can never get old as long as we keep trying new things.

This is true in all aspects of life - getting stale is definitely not a goal - or even an option. I had a session with an energy worker this morning and she once again urged me to write my stories. Somehow this seems to be something beyond my abilities but once again I decided that I would use this blog to present in a coherent way those "musings" that I included in my url. Today, those thoughts are on energy - how it affects us and how we can have an effect on it. Given the current political season and all the smearing that is going on, I have been righteously indignant and angry quite a bit of the time. What I had forgotten was the reality that the energy created by my negative thoughts was feeding the very energies that were creating the negative thoughts in me. That energy cycle is real and it is much too easy to get caught up in it. So, I am now focusing on Obama and Biden and the positive benefits they will bring to the system. By focusing on those values, ideals and principles that have meaning to me, I will be contributing to the energy that is nurturing them and the good in all of us.

And this brings me back to painting - the energy I am feeling at any given time moves through me into the painting I am making. This is reminder to me - if I am unable to deal with some aspect of my work, I need to look inside me for the problem rather then trying to find it in the work itself. Lessons learned and relearned are the cycle of my life!

No comments: