Sunday, October 12, 2008

Red on Red



Painting Grapes and Green Pears got me interested in working with a low contrast in color and value between the background and the subject. The almost purple red of the Delicious apple absorbed light except in the spots where it was reflecting directly the light source. The closest area of continuity was in the shadow where the dark red of the apple blends almost seamlessly into the red highlights in the background shadow. I enjoyed working with this idea and will be doing more such paintings.

Meanwhile, this has been a "paintless" week given an extremely busy schedule, some problems created by a worker at my house (yet to be resolved) and some cyclical health problems that came back with a roar. Giving tours to 4th graders at the art museum is a wonderful and meaningful activity that I will continue but it does eat into my time.

I did spend an afternoon at the State Capitol in OKC looking at Sue Clancy's show - a wonderful and delightful time. Sue is a talented and skilled artist, a very smart person with great humor and wonderfully pithy ways to interpret our daily language into images that tickle our fancy, sometimes provoking outright/outloud laughter while pricking our conscience. Her work reminds us of the joys in life and language while gently prodding us to pay attention and to speak out. You can see Sue's work on her web site at http://home.telepath.com/~artist/.

Today, I am cleaning house and will make time to get back into my studio to make something, anything to get me junp-started again before the coming week takes off in a flurry of activity.

No comments: